EXPLORE EL COTILLO BEACH
El Cotillo, a seaside village in the heart of paradise
Strolling through the picturesque streets of the little village of El Cotillo will make you soak up the tranquillity, the charm, its coastal essence and the seafaring tradition that characterises it.
El Cotillo is a small fishing village in the municipality of La Oliva, situated on the west coast of Fuerteventura (Canary Islands, Spain). Despite its small size, it has a great value for the inhabitants of the island as well as for visitors.
El Cotillo is one of those places that everyone falls in love with.
It is surrounded by an incredible coastal landscape with a great seafaring atmosphere, extensive unspoilt beaches on one side and the lagoons with crystal clear waters and white sand on the other; the taste of the sea served in a wide variety of restaurants and, above all, the seductive sunsets over the Atlantic (a wonderful and unique spectacle that nature gives us every day), make El Cotillo the most charming village of Fuerteventura, bewitching everyone who has the good fortune to visit it.
Do you want to discover what El Cotillo has to offer?
History of El Cotillo
This small fishing village of El Cotillo, located on the northwest coast of Fuerteventura, stands out as one of the most beautiful villages in Spain.
In the 17th century, there was a fishing settlement occupying the landing area known as Puerto del Roque. Later, the island council established the so-called Casa del pueblo del Tostón in the same place.
It was not until the middle of the 20th century, despite being one of the ports of arrival on the commercial route between Fuerteventura and Madeira, that the name of El Cotillo became popular.
With the passing of time, the port lost its commercial status and it was around 1980 when tourism appeared as an economic alternative, which led to a considerable increase in the number of inhabitants.
What to do in El Cotillo?
This fishing village, El Cotillo, has become one of the major tourist attractions of Fuerteventura, being one of the most magical places to visit.
Among the main things to see in El Cotillo we highlight:
- El Castillo del Tostón: A stone fortress built in 1700 to protect the north coast from pirate and corsair attacks.
- El Cotillo village: Here you won’t find huge avenues or big hotels, but you can enjoy the local culture by strolling through charming narrow streets and plazas.
- Port of El Cotillo: Fishing harbour at the foot of the cliffs. Centuries ago, the port of El Cotillo made this town an important export market.
- Lime kilns: Chimneys located near the port, where salt (a product widely used in construction) was loaded for shipment to other islands. For decades, lime kilns were very important for the economic development of Fuerteventura.
- Lighthouse of El Cotillo: This tower is about 40 metres high. Since 1897 it has been in operation and guides ships passing through the so-called Bocaina Strait. Near the lighthouse there are several natural pools where you can swim.
Beaches in El Cotillo
A large number of beaches surround this small fishing village, El Cotillo, with fascinating sunsets. Many of the beaches are considered by tourists as the best beaches in Europe.
- Playa de la Concha: The most popular beach in El Cotillo and one of the best in Fuerteventura. A cove of fine white sand and turquoise water makes it an incredible natural swimming pool. Perfect for a great day out with the kids.
- Playa de Los Lagos: Small coves of white sand sheltered from the waves and sea currents by volcanic rocks. They have great marine fauna to enjoy.
- Los Charcos Beaches: A group of natural coves very popular with nudists. Windsurfing is also very popular.
- Piedra Playa El Aljibe de la Cueva: A beach of wild waters also known as Piedra Playa, it has more than 1 kilometre of fine golden sand. It is less frequented than the rest of the beaches due to its strong waves, making it ideal for surfing. As it is a long beach, it is one of the favourite places for naturists.
We have a page dedicated exclusively to the beaches of El Cotillo, visit it!
Accommodation in El Cotillo
Given its tranquillity, extensive beaches of fine golden sand and good weather, it is an ideal place for all kinds of people: family, friends, couples…
One of the best options to stay in El Cotillo is our hotel, the Coral Cotillo Beach Hotel; a hotel complex just a few metres from the beach, with a wide range of facilities and services that will make you enjoy an unforgettable holiday. Visit our rooms.
Where to eat: Restaurants in El Cotillo
El Cotillo is the ideal place to enjoy the quiet, paradisiacal coves, and authentic and rich majorera gastronomy, where it is possible to find a large number of restaurants all over the island.
As a small fishing village, seafood and fresh fish exquisitely seasoned in El Cotillo’s terraces and restaurants are a must: prawns with garlic, octopus, squid, fried fish, etc.
You can also enjoy its tasty cheese or good goat’s meat and pork, which combine perfectly with the rich vegetables grown in the area.
Typical dishes of the area include: Potatoes accompanied with the well-known red or green mojo picón, gofio, bananas, goat’s cheese, puchero majorero, sancocho, and finally, desserts such as Frangollo (sweet custard with sultanas) and the typical Canarian coffee “Barraquito” which is a coffee served in a small glass with condensed milk, liqueur, cinnamon, and a little lemon.
If you want to enjoy authentic local food with sea views, you should not miss dinner at our restaurant, the Solar Cotillo Restaurant & Rooftop Bar.
What is the best time of the year to visit El Cotillo?
The good weather that can be enjoyed all year round in El Cotillo, means that any time of the year is perfect to visit this little fishing village; although it is true that the busiest time of the year without reaching large crowds is the summer and early autumn, from the end of June to the end of September.